So - without further ado, I present: (if you try it, please leave me a comment and tell me what you think!!!!)
Date Walnut and Ginger Tart
...with spiced labne and sparkling summer fruits
Makes 1 x 24cm fluted tart tin or 6 - 7 individual tarts depending on the size of the tins.
This is a delicious, easy summer dessert, very healthy, gluten and wheat free and makes a wonderful dessert to take to a picnic or a dinner party.
- 200g fresh dates, pitted (I didn't have any so used dried)
- 80g walnuts (didn't have these either so substituted pecans)
- 40g pecans
- 250g crystallised ginger
- 1kg natural yoghurt, drained in a fine strainer in the fridge over two days (AKA labne)
- 1/4 cup sweet ginger sauce (didn't have this so just left it out, next time I'd put ground ginger into the labne instead)
- Pinch white pepper
- 3 - 4 cups of your favourite seasonal fruits diced - I used banana's, white nectarines, mango's, strawberries and passionfruit.
- Handful of fresh mint leaves
For the base, combine the dates, walnuts, pecans and ginger in a food processor and blend until combined and sticking together, but not paste like. Press the mix into a greased base and allo to set firm in th efridge or freezer for about 20 - 30 minutes.
With a spoon or fork blend the labne with the ginger sauce and white pepper and spread this into the tart base.
Drizzle a little more of the ginger sauce into the fruit and toss with the mint leaves, then pile onto the top of the labne.
Slice and serve - we served with fresh cream, but you could also use ice cream, sorbet or anything else you liked.