Friday 21 October 2011

On my mind... a new lifestyle?

This is a Friday photo feature that anyone with a blog can join, courtesy of Rhonda's Down to Earth Blog. It opens the door to us sharing our lives through these photos and gives us all a new way to discover each other, and maybe form new friendships. Your photo should show something at home that you're thinking about TODAY. If you're in another country you should join in when you read this, even if it's still Thursday.

To take part, all you have to do is post a photo on your own blog, write a short caption explaining it, and link it back to Rhonda's blog. Please visit all the blogs that appeal to you and leave a comment. Slow down, take the time to cruise around and enjoy your cyber visits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Wednesday, I went to see Dr Vivienne Taylor at Ibuki Health in Noosa.  Gayle, one of the Security Guards at work had told me about her, and how fantastic she had been, the time that she had spent with her (over 1 hour) and how confident she felt that the Dr could help her back to feeling good again.  It's taken a couple of months to get into see her, but I now think the wait was worth it.

She has talked to me about how I feel in lots of detail.  Now don't get me wrong - I am not hugely unwell.  I'm just not...  "right" I think is the correct word. 

I yawn and feel tired all day, I go to sleep and don't stay asleep, I feel... well... blah.

We talked at length about my thyroid issues and the Rheumatoid Arthritis, and she linked quite a few things back to those diseases, and then made the connection with the symptoms that I am feeling. 

It was amazing...

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that she had a lot of blood tests she wants me to go and have.  She also provided me some suupplements to take.  (she's a regular GP but looks at life holistically - herbs, supplements, as well as conventional medicine).  The next piece of information though was one that I'm only just getting my head around now:

"I believe that you will benefit from being wheat free, or even going so far as to be gluten free". 

Whoa!  I don't have any problems with wheat or gluten... do I???  Maybe I do....  I feel sluggish, my body doesn't work well, I'm tired...  You know - all that STUFF that you feel but nothing you can put your finger on. 

Errrr....

I cut soy out of my life a few years ago, and felt much better for doing it.  It's now at the stage where I can eat a bit of soy but not too much, and have no reaction.  I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to do that with wheat and gluten, but I don't know. 

I was just walking back from the canteen, and thinking that it would be nice to not have the feeling of such tiredness and heavy arms & legs all the time.  I'm going to give it a go - I've been doing a bit of research on it, and what I can and can't eat.  I don't think it'll be too bad, I know I'll miss bread though.  I'm looking forward to eating a lot more basically - fresh veggies & meats, legumes, nuts etc.  I'll have to extract my digit and make sure that I get organised, and go to the farmers markets more than I do currently.  I'm sure if I get organised I'll be just fine.

Do you have any suggestions?  Are you gluten or wheat free???  I would love to hear any suggestions you have!!!

3 comments:

  1. No suggestions sorry. I've ben thinking the same here. We eat mainly fresh, unprocessed but recently too much crap has been coming in and I feel blah too.

    Thing is, I *think* I could easily do without bread, chips, cake etc...I just haven't been lately.

    Good luck with feeling better.

    Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No suggestions from me either. I've also not been feeling 'on top'. I might try to minimise the amount of wheat/gluten products in my diet for a while. Can't hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I had some tips for you. But this is something I want to do to.but I can't get my head around all the things to cut out. Bread is such a staple food and removing it and going gluten free would be a very big adjustment for me. I will watch with interest to see how you go with it.

    ReplyDelete